Friday, September 27, 2013

WebQuest Annotation(s)

I started out on WebQuest Garden in class, but found so many broken links that I thought I would look farther afield.
I did a google search for  music webquests and found one that looked very promising:
http://www.bestteacherusa.net/MusicWebquest/MusicWebquest.htm

 As I started to research this site a bit, it looked like it would be full of  wonderful resources. Sadly, as I began to click away on some of the links to renaissance music and baroque many of the links were dead. However, the ones that were working had a mixture of really great resources and sites that were full of advertisements. This site was created by two music teachers, Jean Napier and Elizabeth Mulkey  for a 6th through 8th grade music technology class.
Each group of students was to combine elements of music and history and create a sample cd for "aliens" and a powerpoint as described in the activity. There were clear instructions for individual and group activities and a logical sequence to accomplish their goals. 
The site has great graphics, has a page that shows what educational standards for Kansas are met, pages for students and teachers, and provides opportunities for students to study many of the major eras of music history through composers, their works, and instruments of each era.
Because it was created in 2001 and last updated in 2004, only parts of the activity can be accomplished through the links listed. I would imagine that if one wanted to re-create something like this it wouldn't be too hard to find alternate links to substitute. The links that are working contain correct information. I think this is a great activity to engage and enrich students' learning and would be well worth updating or making anew.

Because this site was not usable as is, I decided I wanted to find one that is.
http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/ferdons/502/webquest/start.html
This site is designed for 4th through 6th graders to learn about different instruments in the orchestra. It is well designed, with good graphics and I only found one page that didn't work in the links.
The pages it links to for resources include the San Fransisco Symphony, BBC Symphony, PBS kids and a few other respected and authoritative sites. The webquest was created in 2009 and revised in 2010. It has the required pages for students and for teachers, including the state and national standards that this inquiry based activity will fulfill when completed.
The groups of students are each given a $30,000 grant and are to research the different families and instruments within the families to decide which instruments (and how many of each) should be purchased for their orchestra while staying within their budget. This would be an excellent collaborative and academic activity for this age group and would be a good use of time in and out of the classroom as students will work individually and collaboratively to complete their project and present it in powerpoint form to the class.

Because there aren't a lot of upper music resources readily available  in the webquest area, I think there is plenty of room for those with a technological background and creative mind to add to the existing lessons and offer more opportunities for collaborative music study.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment