Monday, September 23, 2013

Wikis

    First off, may I say that I love the word "wiki." It just has a nice feel to it as it rolls off your tongue! (Seriously, it is a fun word to say! Just try it for yourself!)
The fact that it is Hawaiian for quick is great because I love being able to do things quicker or being able to find a great shortcut. I have enjoyed working with wikis so far and would like to learn more about how to use them in other situations. For example, I direct a community band and when we want to know everyone's availability, it would be great to be able to know how to create a wiki or some other kind of tool that all members could type their availability into and have it compiled. Currently, our secretary has to send out the email to all members, each member replies (some in their own good time) and then she (or I as director) has to compile all the various replies and come up with a list of good dates for us to schedule concerts without too many missing! I know there is probably some great technology tool that will do this, so I am looking forward to finding and using that.
    As a future teacher, I think it would be great to be able to use wikis in the classroom and outside the classroom as well. It might be a way to communicate with parents other than just by email, and would be a great benefit when planning something special, like a Mexican fiesta, or something on that order where students and parents would be bringing or doing things to help make the event a success.
   I can see this as a great way for students to collaborate in the classroom as they work on projects together and really help teach one another. I think this concept really fits in with Vygotsky's "zone of proximal development" theory and the collaborative learning models that help students learn and grow in cooperation rather than competition. Because they are quick, wikis can be made and modified within a few class periods and can cover a lot of ground in a different way than just reading or lectures. I see it as adding some serious spice to the classroom in a way that gets the students involved in their own education. Great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment