Monday, September 23, 2013

Learning to evaluate Websites

     Website Evaluation:
   This was an interesting assignment. I have never thought about how much there is to evaluate within a website, and the one I evaluated didn't have everything that was on the checklist.
      I learned a lot about what kinds of things one needs to think about when evaluating a website for classroom use, such as the author's credentials and the motive for the website. I know there are a lot of great websites out there and many more are set up all the time. Just by sheer limitations on time available, we will never get to see every wonderful website that would be great for teaching, so a creator really had to do things to make his or her website stand out if they want to have people use it. It needs to be accurate in its information, easy to navigate, and pleasing to the eye. Having some kind of interactive games, or exercises or tools also will help it appeal to younger students, especially if it uses color or gives positive feedback.
       I do want to use more technology in teaching, because I think it can help lighten a teacher's load while speeding the learning process for those who are truly interested in learning. A great tutorial website can also be a wonderful tool for helping those who are struggling without them feeling afraid to ask in front of a classroom full of peers. If every student had access to websites that supported the teaching with podcasts and tutorials and extra exercises, the learning across the whole classroom would be accelerated. I am excited to learn more about how to use these tools and how to organize them so they can be found again when you want them.
   I know I am really going to learn a great deal about technology and am learning a bit more every day.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. i am really looking forward to learning how to set up the reply thing you talked about that we can use to compile information. It will seriously lighten the load on my band secretary!

      Delete